Have you been reading these days?


What have you been reading?
It seems like a lot of us are having trouble reading during covid-19. "Distracted" seems to be the key phrase.   

Perhaps Earth Day inspired you (Bookmark's Earth Day Inspirations).

Have you wanted to read more about pandemics? New York Times Essential Pandemic Books or fiction  Books to Read During a Pandemic.   Note: my husband enjoyed and recommends "Pale Horse, Pale Rider".  He read it the first week of  "stay-at-home" and periodically shared interesting facts about the Spanish Flu pandemic. 




I have had trouble reading. In the beginning of this stay-at-home time I focused my attention on my "family history" hobby and wrote a family history book to give to my aunt for her birthday.  After four weeks, that was finished, and now I had a lot of time to pick back up on my reading. As an avid reader - what better use of this time than to escape into a good book?  "I'm too distracted" was my answer and I felt better knowing I was not alone as I shared with co-workers or friends who are also usually avid readers.


Resolutely needing something to occupy my thoughts and knowing books can provide an escape, I decided I needed to try and focus on a book that was light and joyful. One of my coworkers has traditionally given great recommendations for this category and I remembered a number of people liking her recommendation of Katherine Center's "How to Walk Away". (See DFL Staff Recommendations for more staff reads.) (Yes, I purchased this book (found it in Target) because this is a popular book and I didn't want to wait for the ebook.)


This book quickly set up the story and and I found myself immersed. I could focus on someone else's problems with the story focused on the (no spoilers because it is part of the book's summary) main character  overcoming tragic circumstances. Also, based on trusted recommendations,  the ending would be satisfying. It proved to capture and entertain have just enough human struggle, joy, and romance. This book will also be top in my recommendations.

I've since finished Katherine Center's second book (not series) "Things You Save In A Fire" , which I also found well written and with just enough family and romantic tension to keep you reading until the end to see how it all works out. 


I've also finished an audio version of Lisa See's historical fiction "The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane" - available for checkout through Libby.  This book was intriguing and encourged me to take a lot of walks. Now I'm looking forward to delving into either one of the historical fictions I have on my bookshelf or more of a historical fiction/thriller - the next I'm up to in the Daniel Silva Gabriel Allon series. (This is a series enjoyed by patrons, both men and women ,-- and on my favorites list.)



Boston Public Librarians have posted what they are reading during quarantine. Maybe one of those books might grab your interests. 

Remember that all of Massachusetts library networks, including Boston Public Library, are available for browsing and checkouts with your  Duxbury Library Card.  Don't have a card? You can sign up for an ecard.


Regardless of what you are reading, I hope it entertains and brings you briefly out of the middle of your worries, boredom, sadness, and distractions.  


Comments