Looking back at a Decade of Reading and Forward Setting Reading Resolutions


2020 rings in a new decade and our head of circulation asked us to share our favorite book of the decade. Picking just one is difficult and I've chosen a story that was heart-wrenching, thrilling, written in a style where you feel you hear every crunch of leaves being walked on and feel the blow of every strike. If you stay with the heart-stopping often too graphic action you will find courage and redemption with the female heroine.  "My Absolute Darling" by Gabriel Tallent is a book I don't recommend lightly for it is filled with often difficult to read scenes, but it is a gripping story and hard for most to put down.  It is one of many of this decades popular books with the theme of people raised outside of normal conventions, such as, "Educated" by Tara Westover, "Where the Crawdads Sing" by Delia Owens, "Hillbilly Elegy" by J.D. Vance, and "The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls.

My favorite author of the decade is Daniel Silva. His Gabriel Allon series, I would of never picked up, but was recommended by a friend in my book club. The series weaves thrilling adventures highlighting Israeli/Middle Eastern historical and political events and a story of a fascinating main character that is part art forger and part-time Israeli intelligence officer. Daniel Silva entertains with great story-telling, insights into real tensions, and utilizes his knowledge and talents from a career as a United Press International journalist covering the middle east, terrorism, and war. This series is one of few that both my husband (who reads more non-fiction and science fiction) and I have shared our appreciation. 

Favorite non-fiction has to be "Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End" by Atul Gwande. From the intelligence of a surgeon and real-life experience of helping his aging parents, Atul Gwande's thoughtfully explores of the practices of facing getting older. The thoughts and hope in this book changed my perspective and stays with me (and probably guided by actions and plans) as I and loved ones have aged.

What will the next ten years bring? Another question asked of our DFL staff to ponder is our reading resolutions for next year. As I enter into my late fifties, hope and plan for the next season of life, I want my reading selections to ground me spiritually, help to keep me connected to my children's generation (as well as upcoming generations), and continue to expand my perceptions exposing me to cultures and history through good storytelling.  

Looking back in 2019 the following books stand out in my recollections:

"The World That We Knew" by Alice Hoffman.  Recently released, but high on my best reads of 2019 this "historical" fiction book magically explores themes of good and evil, as well as, connecting three women through love and loss. Great story-telling.

"Conviction" by Denise Mina. One of those "new" books that came in and didn't have a hold list but inside summary looked contemporary and intriguing. I began by listening to it and loving the British accent and narration of Cathleen McCarron who also narrated "Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine". This uniquely told contemporary murder mystery weaves in the main character's struggle to find a new identity after marriage infidelty and losing her best friend, an unlikely partnership with her best friend's husband, integrating our contemporary culture phenomenon of real-crime podcasts and social media. This book has recently been picked by Reese Witherspoon for her book club.

"The Map of the Stars" by Zeyn Joukhadar. Highly recommend patron pick
and I am glad I listened. This read combines current events, history, with a touch of fantasy that reminds me of "Gulliver's Travels". It tell a parallel story of a Syrian family caught up in the recent Syrian refugee crisis with a story of the adventures of a young girl traveling with al-Idirisi, a historically based Moroccan Arab Muslim cartographer and Egyptologist who lived in Palermo, Sicily and charted the first world map. Insightful history of the region, a view into how quickly life changed for Syrians, and wonderful adventure story.

To complete my recommendations for 2019: I have to add the following 2019 releases which I recommended as a staff reads: "The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek" by Kim Michele Richardson, "Word is Murder" by Anthony Horowitz, and "Inheritance: A Memoir of Genealogy, Paternity, and Love" by Dani Shapiro. Check out our Duxbury Library Staff Reads for many others  enjoyed by our staff this year. I recommend coming in and browsing this collection as our staff reads a diversified set of genres and rewards with a good read.

Hope you are inspired to set aside time to reflect on what you've read in the last decade, share your favorites with us, and enjoy a year (and next decade) full of wonderful reading adventures.


Comments