Do you already have a large list of books to read in 2019?

'The goal setting season is upon us and I hope in that list all of us are incorporating time in your day for reading or listening to a book. Last year I started a new practice of listening to audio books when I walked the dog or while in the car. Many hours were productively passed while I enjoyed a number of books I would not have had time to read and some that I probably enjoyed more because of the storytelling talents of the narrators. I also tried to be more intentional about picking up a book to read versus logging on to social media or email, thus, reduced the hours we can sometimes lose on the computer and enriched my perspectives through a good book instead.

I have to say I read a lot of good books in 2018 helped by culling my reading selections based on your recommendations, recommended reads from various book review sources and previewed selections by the Duxbury Library Staff.  Perusing my Goodreads list, where I track what I've read, it is difficult to find an absolute favorite to recommend - "Try them all!". For some of my favorites of the past year, my previous posts will provide highlights.

The 2018 recommendations I have on my radar to read are "The Map of Salt and Stars" by Jennfier Zayneb Joukhadar, and the  "The Force of Nature" by Jane Harper, a sequel to  "The Dry", which was one of my favorite mysteries read last year.Additionally, I want to catch up on my favorite Gabriel Alon spy thriller series novels by Daniel Silva and start the new "The Chronicles of St. Mary's" historical novel/time travel series by Jodi Taylor.
"Behold the Dreamers" by Imbolo Mbue

Based on high recommendations from my coworkers and family members, I'm currently listening to "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman. Although it is outside of my normally reading genre, "American Gods" is proving and entertaining listen with a full cast production.


Are you wanting a well crafted "out of the box" mystery and don't mind a little supernatural elements thrown in? Try my recent favorite: "The Seven 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle" by Stuart Turton. I started this as an audio and finished it as a book once I realized it had a number of twists and turns I wanted to make sure I didn't miss.

Enjoy making your way through your 2019 reading lists. Let your lists be a reminder of books that spark your interest, not necessarily a list to "check off" and complete. There are so many old favorite authors that deserve our attention, as well as, the new and upcoming books that might intrigue us based on current events or a need for knowledge. Hardly anyone regrets the time escaping in a book.

Happy reading in 2019.  Follow  Patron Picks - A View From Circulation  "Pinterest" board to see what our patrons are enjoying. The board will be updated as patron's recommend books to us as well as with "hot reads" noted by our circulation staff.

Comments