In search of a good read.

One of the wonderful things about working behind the Duxbury Library Circulation desk is hearing patron's recommendations.  Never wanting to miss a good book, I place the recommended read on hold and often take home a lot of wonderful choices. Finding "too many books, too little time", I will try to take a block of time and read the first pages in each book to see if I "Don't want to put it down".  
My current stack to review. I visit Goodreads.com to find recommendations or ratings to weed my list.

With no formula for why a book grabs my attention and one is never finished, I search out reviews and recommendations.  How much focused time I have to read in one sitting and how many books I've recently read in a particular genre often determine whether or not I stick with a book.  

One way to get through more books is to read one and listen to another. Recently, I found an audiobook on Hoopla from an author whose books are very popular, but I had not been previously been drawn to. Listening to the audiobook I found the characters and story more engaging, possibly due to the more focused time I had in the car or walking or the accent of the reader who brought the characters to life. Also, I have found some books take at least 50 pages before you have the character backgrounds and the author has engaged you in the story. Many of these books I was glad I stayed with because they are numbered among my favorite, e.g. "Gentleman in Moscow", by Amor Towles ,who said he wrote it that way intentionally.


As you can tell from my current stack - I'm also looking through a couple of nonfictions. My favorite recent find is the Pogue's Basics Series. That's the wonderful thing about libraries - we can check out as many books, videos, and music as we want, browse,  return them, and check them out again later.   

Looking for a "good read"? 

Visit Duxbury Library and check out our "Lucky Star" display, our "Goodreads Reader's Challenge" bookshelf or our new "Recommend Reads" area with many of your favorite picks.   

Don't have time to come in: "What should I take home next" has many favorites lists and ideas as well as the Library Catalog. For a limited time you can even explore our partner regions digital networks "Sails Library Network" and "Minuteman Library Network"  .

We hope it isn't long before you find your next "good read".


Hint - To avoid getting too many books at one time from your "books on hold list": "Suspend" your hold once you've placed it and "Release It" when you are close to ready to read it.  You keep you place in line in the hold list.  

SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

Comments